Giddings High School History
EARLY GIDDINGS HIGH SCHOOL, 1892-1915
The first Giddings High School was erected in 1892. It was a two story brick structure consisting of eight rooms, costing $7,700.00. It was located where the present gym now stands. Mr. Buckner Harris was superintendent until 1906, when he was succeeded by Mr. T.P. Walker, who was superintendent until 1912. Mr. Walker began the first athletic activities in the school system.
GIDDINGS HIGH SCHOOL 1915-1971
In 1913, this building was built on Industry Street. This building was demolished in 1971. It was a 2-story schoolhouse with basement classrooms.
GIDDINGS HIGH SCHOOL 1971- Present
On March 4, 1969, the School Board passed a resolution which authorized the erection of the new high school on a new and larger site and removed from the present high school campus bounded by Industry, Polk, Galveston, and Leon Streets.
In May, 1968, a $785,000 bond issue was approved by the taxpayers. Twenty-three years after the first attempt to replace the old 1913 building, Giddings High School No. 3 would become a reality.
The new building erected on a campus on Highway 77 North. The school board purchased 35.386 acres of land from Mrs. Minnie Dunk Meir and 11.055 acres from Mr. Delfeal Muller for a total of 46.441. The new building was completed and occupied on September 4, 1970. Mr. Don B. Slocomb was superintendent of schools during this building program. Dr. H.R. Willard was chairman of the board and Arthur Mitschke was secretary.